Monday, December 6, 2010

Been working up the courage....


To tell everyone a couple of things.....Things I have been keeping secret...nothing huge or anything....maybe not "secret" perse, just that I was feeling a bit shy about putting myself out there...(as if this blog isn't putting myself  "out there"  HA!)

First of all, I started an etsy shop a few weeks ago.  There are only 4 things in there right now.  Over the weekend I made my first sale.  It was really exciting to get that email popping into my email box...Etsy transaction!  I thought that was a sign to let everyone know that




The Collected Home is open for business



I though the name fitting.  As you all well know, I am all about the "collected look", mixing old with new, vintage and antiques, bringing pieces that were otherwise discarded back to life with new fabric and paint...making a space feel like a home.

Sooooo stay tuned for more additions to the shop....I will add a link to my sidebar soon.  Some great lighting, and furniture (that may or may not be recovered or painted.  Maybe even a few of my custom designs (pillows, embroidery designs, fabric designs, etc.) Who knows....

Which leads me to another confession...my quest to HELP others CREATE a Collected Home....a home that tells a story about its owners, a home with a soul, a home that makes you happy to BE in your space. Giving CLIENTS the courage to paint a room, move furniture, recover a family heirloom, maybe even throw something away that isn't bringing joy to the space.  EVERYONE deserves to have a Happy space regardless of budget or other constraints.  And I intend to help make that happen...because it makes me HAPPY to do so!

I am officially hanging out my shingle.







This is the ad I just placed in my local Home Tour Booklet....I am on the committee and in charge of the tour booklet... I place a graphic design ad in every year....but this year, I changed it up a bit.  To my surprise, I got a bit of good feedback. 
And maybe even a few potential clients:)
So there you have it....deep breath, sigh, smile:)  And a big thank you for all of the support I get here, it has really given me the courage to just go for it....we will see.

Happy Monday!

17 comments:

The Buzz Blog said...

How fantastic of you! You have such a great eye and style that opening a shop was surely the next step. Can't wait to see all of your collected finds!
xxoo

HAMPTON HOSTESS said...

good for you Gretchen! It's a big step--I know you will have great success!

ALR said...

Congrats Gretchen! I will check out your store. I think it is great that you put yourself out there.

Amy R.

Kathysue said...

Good for you Gretchen. You will do wonderfully on both counts. I started my design business by teaching a class to a woman's group and handing out my card. I got my first paying client and the rest was history. I never advertised and always had work. A very fun part fo my life. I kept it to an hourly consult fee and it worked for me for over 30yrs. Good luck with your new endeavors!!
Merry Christmas,
KATHYSUE

mom said...

The BEST is when we can combine the Passion we have for something with "work" b/c then it's not work but following our passion :-) -- and if we can make some money at the same time -- icing on the cake!
You will do wonderfully -- just look at your blog :-)

XO

Unknown said...

Wonderful, fantastic news!!!!! I'm thinking 2011 will be a really banner year for you!!!!!

xoxo Elizabeth

Unknown said...

Yay!!! Congrats! So exciting, you are amazing Mama G!

René said...

Wow! Congratulations and best of luck Gretchen! I'm off to check out your store.

-Rene

Meredith Jewell said...

Congratulations on your accomplishments, Gretchen! I can't wait to check out the site and your products on Etsy! Impressive for sure!

Amanda said...

GO GRETCHEN!! Congratulations on your new venture! I wish you tons and tons of success...

Michelle said...

Congrats! I am so happy for you!

Unknown said...

Fantastic news Gretchen! I am such a fan of yours..I know you will be so successful!

Gretchen O. said...

Thanks so much everyone for the encouragement! Sometimes you just have to take a leap, and I will just have to see where I land.

LiveLikeYou said...

How exciting Gretchen!! I will definitely hop over and check out your store. The best way to start a business (I believe) is staring it small. Sounds like you're off to a flying start...

quintessence said...

Congratulations Gretchen on both fronts - I'm sure the store and your design business will be hugely successful!

designchic said...

Gretchen - that is fabulous!! I adore your blog and know this is the perfect next step for you...

Megan said...

Many, many congrats on your exciting venture; I'm glad that you worked up the courage to share. Wishing you the best of luck!!