Wednesday, June 16, 2010

A chandelier and a portrait...


ENORMOUS Venetian Glass Chandelier
(look in the bottom left hand corner and you might notice something)
Revealed at the end of post



Isn't this chandalier amazing???  The pictures just don't do it justice.  It was such a wonderful suprise at the top of this art filled stairway at L'enfant Gallery on the corner of Wisconsin and P street in DC.  You just look up and BAM this fine specimen of Italian Venetian Glass.  Every little bit is hand blown, and it had to be about 4 to 5 feet in diameter...I mean, HUGE! 

I had a couple of hours to myself on a recent trip with my kids to DC.  I am still trying to get used to taking pictures of all that inspires (in DC inspiration is everywhere!!!), More often than not, my hands were otherwise engaged in either carrying a child or attending to one, that the camera either A) dangled around my neck or B) was in my bag, or C) was at the hotel room....it just wasn't utilized nearly as it should! I digress....thank goodness I was by myself so I could have my wits about me to snap a shot, and I even had enough where-with-all to notice this...

Doesn't the chandelier in this portrait look familiar???  Well I thought so...

I made my way down the stairs and asked the woman at the front desk about the chandelier and whether it was the same one in the portrait.  She didn't know what I was talking about.  So the answer is, NO, there isn't any real correlation.  But I can't quite get it out of my head that the woman in the portrait is now in the "real" shadow of the light cast from the chandelier in her portrait.  Or maybe there is some sordid story about the chandelier, and she just happened to end up in it's shadow...

I thought about saying, maybe you could do a "BUY ONE GET ONE"sale...You know, if  you buy the chandelier for say $75k you get the painting for $25k instead of $50k.  Thankfully I didn't say what I was thinking b/c it would probably have been construed as uncooth...so I just laughed to myself, and continued my trek up the Wisconsin Hill on a 95 degree day, pushing a stroller with no baby in it (long story), making my way to the Safeway for a nice bottle of vino to share with my wonderful Mom (who made an afternoon antiquing by myself possible) and my sister (who I am so glad lives in the city, and I can live vicariously thru her)

In the Morning,
G

2 comments:

mom said...

Gorgeous Chandeliere - 75K,
Accompanying portrait - 50K
Grandmother who babysits whilst mother browses --
Priceless:-)

Gastronomiss said...

Where was this? L'Enfant Gallery? Wisc and P... Wow, what a chand-uh-leah (you gotta say this w/ a Jersey accent)