Thursday, June 10, 2010

The "perfect" rug...maybe not.

Rug in the store.



Close up...it doesn't do the greens justice b/c they are much more vibrant

I recently fell in LOVE with a rug at one of my favorite (if not MY fav) local rug store House of Rugs.  They make it a point to pick out the timeless colors, great quality, just really pretty rugs.   Alot of the work is done for you, so that you don't have to go thru mounds of rugs to get to what you might like.  They are mostly persians, and VERY reasonably priced.  Anyway, a few months ago I was in and found a rug!   I probably wouldn't have normally picked because its base is navy blue, (should have been a clue), but it has a beautiful design and a gorgeous colorway with really pretty greens, and yellows, browns, and coral.  The great thing about House of Rugs is that they let you take a few rugs home with you so you can see it in your decor.  WELL, above you can see the rug in the store

And here it is in the house (remember I have NOT yet covered the couch and chairs, and this is VERY much a work in progress.)

THE RUG

Another rug

I am just not as enamored with it IN the house as I was in the store.  Wipe brow, a crisis averted.  The moral of this story is to really make the effort to try things in your house if you can BEFORE you fork over the denaro.  Especially a rug that you will most likely have to live with for a LONG time. (at least in my family!)   Most boutique stores will let you do this.   I still really LOVE the rug, just not in my house.  I don't think the other rug is THE rug either, but I really like the lighter tone of it.   The room is really light, and I want to keep it that way.  Being able to compare them really helped me narrow it down.  Here is what I think would be great...I just have to find it!

I am thinking something like this....

Found on 1stdibs one of my new FAVORITE places to dream. 
But I love the greens, and pinks, and oranges.

or this


another 1stdibs find...ONLY $33k...

oh well, the search continues...but I know it will be worth the wait!


In the morning,
G




No comments: